As more people worldwide become fascinated by Kratom and its research potential, more questions are being asked. Often, navigating the Kratom research waters can be a challenge, especially when there is contradicting information circulating. Some of the most asked questions are regarding the various strains.
As Kratom grows in areas throughout Southeast Asia, the plant can take on different characteristics, which is how the different strains are developed. Along with the plant’s genetics and the geographic location, the harvesting period will also determine the strain.
What’s The Cause?
The different strains all boil down to the concentrations of active compounds found within the plant. As the soil in other geographic regions can vary in nutrient density and nutrient type, the plant will take one characteristic unique to its growing location. Additionally, how much sunlight and water can also further alter active compounds’ concentration generating a different strain.
When you are purchasing Kratom for research, a reputable dealer will be fully aware of each strain’s cultivation process. If you work with these retailers, their knowledge can help you get high-quality Kratom filled with generous portions of active compounds.
Main Factors That Influence The Strain
Two main factors influence the strain of Kratom. The growing region, and the color of the veins on the leaves at the time of harvest. These two factors are also common elements of the strain names. You will often see strains for sale called Red Malay or Green Thai. While the Kratom will almost always be the same shade of green, these colors signify the leaf’s vein color. As the vein color changes throughout the plant’s maturation, they also denote a different concentration of active alkaloids. Depending on if the leaf is taken from the bottom, middle, or top of the tree, the vein color and alkaloid concentration can further change.
Almost every strain of Kratom comes in either powder, extracts, or capsules. If you purchase from a trustworthy source, their product will all be contaminant-free, offering you the safest option ensuring your research is carried out as professionally as possible.
The Favorite Strains
As there could potentially be thousands of different Kratom strains, it is next to impossible to list them all. As new plants are being grown every day in regions worldwide, each one could technically be a new strain. However, some favorite strains most commonly sold are outlined below. Each strain is categorized into three categories, white vein, green vein, & red vein.
White Vein Varieties
The five white vein varieties, all originating from leaves grown in the middle of the tree, are as follows:
- White Malay is grown in Malaysia, which gives off a relaxing fragrance.
- White Maeng Da originates from Indonesia, which gives off a stimulating scent.
- White Indo, grown in Western Indonesia, is mild but still stimulating.
- White Bali offers the most favorable aroma and is grown on the island of Bali.
- White Thai is almost identical to White Bali in terms of effects but is grown in Thailand.
Green Vein Varieties
Green vein varieties are made from leaves grown at the bottom of the tree:
- Green Malay harvested in Malaysia is more stimulating than White Malay.
- Green Maeng Da is one of the most popular strains and tends to have both energizing and relaxing aroma. It comes from Indonesia
- Green Indo offers soothing aroma and is also grown in Indonesia
- Green Bali is more refreshing than the white variety and is also grown in Bali.
- Green Thai, from Thailand, is also very mild/neutral in aroma.
Red Vein Varieties
The leaves from the top of the tree, which receive the highest amounts of sunlight, generate the red vein varieties, which are stronger:
- Red Malay from Malaysia is similar to the other Malay types as it gives a relaxing aroma.
- Red Maeng Da is known as one of the most potent strains and has a very energetic aroma and, of course, comes from Indonesia.
- Red Indo tends to be more uplifting but also comes from Indonesia.
- Red Bali is the strain most beginners try and comes from the Indonesian island of Bali.
- Red Thai is very similar to Red Bali. It comes from Thailand.
Research For Yourself
If you are interested in learning more about the various Kratom strains, the best course of action is independent research. When you purchase multiple strains, keep records of their effects, and look for repeated results. When you conclude your studies, you can share your reports with other Kratom enthusiasts or the American Kratom Association. While suppliers are restricted in the information they can provide, organizations like the AKA can help you get more accurate data.
You can also read up on reports about the plant and the different alkaloids if you want to understand better how the active compounds correlate with specific effects. With a bit of time and a high-quality product, you will soon be a Kratom expert.