Storing any health food items or medicinal herb can be tricky. These are often sensitive substances with specific light and humidity requirements. When it comes to Kratom, there is no exception. You must be storing your Kratom correctly, or else it will degrade, which can have detrimental effects on your research. All it takes is a bit of preparation to tailor the perfect storage environment, and your Kratom can last much longer without ever decreasing in potency or quality.
What Makes Kratom So Sensitive?
Did you know almost all items in a grocery store have specific storage instructions? Even though there are instructions on nearly every item, people rarely follow these steps correctly. These storage instructions not only ensure the product does not expire, but it keeps you safe. Kratom is no different. Improper storing techniques can often contaminate the product, leaving it prone to bacteria build-up, which could be dangerous for your research.
The reason Kratom is so sensitive is because of the active compounds present. Kratom is grown in Southeast Asia, and throughout its growth, the plant develops active alkaloids. The leaves from the plant are usually harvested once these alkaloids have reached ideal concentrations. Once the plant is harvested and refined, these alkaloids can become less active, especially if several months pass by without it being used. Kratom tends to perform best within three months of harvesting, but you may be able to extend this length if you create the perfect storage space. Failure to do so could cause your product to diminish very quickly.
When it comes to storing Kratom, there are best practices that should be exercised by all Kratom enthusiasts and researchers. Check out some of these practices below.
- Keep your Kratom in a sealed container. When choosing a storage container, select something with a lid that seals tightly, guaranteeing that no air can get in. Once Kratom is harvested, exposure to air and sunlight will be responsible for its degradation, so you must keep it away from both.
- Keep your Kratom away from wet areas or moisture. If your Kratom becomes damp or exposed to moist air, it can develop mold and bacteria build-up. As bacteria and mold can be dangerous to your health, you want to avoid these at all costs. It will also mean you have to throw out your entire stock.
- Keep your Kratom away from UV rays. Exposure to direct sunlight will undoubtedly ruin your product. It can degrade the active alkaloids very quickly. The best way to store it is by using a container or jar with opaque sides. Some people opt for amber glass, but dark plastic will work just as well.
- Keep it at a consistent temperature. Temperature fluctuations are responsible for causing condensation, so if you are storing your Kratom next to a vent or window, condensation can build up and cause mold.
- Keep most of your Kratom in long-term storage. Many Kratom researchers choose to buy bulk amounts of product. When doing this, you should keep most of the product in a cool and dry place and only keep what you are using for the next week out.
- Try vacuuming sealing bulk amounts. Vacuuming sealing helps to keep away moisture and air and is excellent for long-term storage. You can keep these vacuum-sealed packages in your fridge and only open it when you know it will be used.
- Try keeping the majority of your product in the freezer. The freezer is an excellent location because the temperature is always consistent and can halt any degradation. You may store Kratom in the freezer for up to a year if you vacuum seal it first.
While these practices may seem cumbersome at first, they are relatively straightforward to adopt into your life. It would help if you thought of Kratom as you would any prescription medication. You wouldn’t leave these out in the open or a warm wet environment.
3 Things You Should Never Do
While you can implement these best practices, you should also never:
- Trust that the container you are storing it in is protection enough. If the areas around your box are sunny or damp, it could affect the product.
- Use a specialized storage container like those used for cigars. People often think humidors are great for storing Kratom, but they can ruin the product.
- Change the location of your Kratom storage. Once you have the right spot, stick with it as changing it could cause temperature fluctuations.
Make Storage A Priority
Whether you are a longtime Kratom researcher or just starting your Kratom journey, you need to make storage a priority. Exercising proper storage techniques for your capsules, extracts, and powder will extend their lifespan and eliminate errors in your research. With more error-free research done by Kratom enthusiasts throughout America, it will become a more widely available substance.